Practical Python for beginners: a Biochemist’s guide - starting 4 May 2020
If you are a member, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your membership number to request a discount code before registration. See registration fees for members below.
REGISTRATION WILL CLOSE ON FRIDAY 1 MAY AT 5 PM.
An increase in the complexity and scale of biochemical data has created many opportunities for biochemists to exploit data visualisation, modelling and machine learning methods in knowledge discovery. Leveraging such power requires at least some coding which can be a daunting prospect for many biochemists.
The online course aims to support researchers at any career stage to learn the core skills which underlie the application of Python to complex, real-world research problems. ‘Practical Python for beginners: a Biochemist’s guide’ was developed by an experienced team of Python trainers and early career researchers with first-hand experience of learning Python for biochemical problems, based at the University of York.
The course is designed to take approximately 5 hours and is divided into small chunks that can be tackled at the learner’s own pace. Learners have the opportunity to interact with each other and the course trainers. No previous coding experience is required.
The successful learner will be able to:
- explain the rationale for scripting
- use the IPython command line as a calculator and to assign variables
- use the basic data types and some simple functions
- create lists and select elements from them
- explain what a library is, import a Python library and use functions it contains
- read biochemical data from a file into a Python
- understand computing concepts such as what is meant by the working directory, absolute and relative paths and be able to apply these concepts to data import
- analyse and visualise biochemical data using powerful Python packages such as NumPy, Pandas, Sklearn and Matplotlib
Members residents in low-income countries FREE
Student members £25
Early career members £40
Full members £50
If you are a member, please send an email to email@example.com with your membership number to request a discount code before registration.
If you'd like to become a member of the Biochemical Society for discounted rates, click here.
For any information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This work is © the Authors with an exclusive licence to publish/reuse ‘Practical Python for beginners: a Biochemist’s guide’ belonging to the Biochemical Society. The course is only supplied for personal use. By registering, delegates agree not to: copy the material for distribution, reuse it (for purposes other than personal learning), or share it with third parties without permission from the Biochemical Society’